- Commissions ▼
- Crews ▼
- Crew List
- Crew A - B ▶
- Crew C ▶
- Crew D - G ▶
- Crew H - K ▶
- Crew L - M ▶
- Crew N - Z ▶
- Loose Ends ▼
Alan served on HMS Gambia for the 1950 to 1952 commission.
Alan L. Clements (Clem) was born in 1921 and joined the Royal Navy as a boy-apprentice at Fisgard from the Royal Hospital School in 1936 but was drafted to HMS Caledonia, Rosyth in 1937. The apprenticeship was shortened on the outbreak of war and he went to HMS Defiance at Devonport before getting HMS Duke of York as his first ship. He got into missiles in 1952 and went to Woomera, South Australia to continue R&D with GEC on Seaslug & Seadart. Alan served 22 years and was pensioned in September 1961 when he moved to Adelaide.
These images come from Alan who was an Electrical Artificer on the HMS Gambia's 1950/2 commission:
Some of the photos mention the Vernon Club in St James's Bastion, Valletta, Malta. Only the outer facade of the building now survives. When Malta gained independence in 1964, the Maltese Government decided to establish a central bank, and in July 1968, the Bank acquired the Vernon Club on St James Bastion in Valletta. The outer facade was kept, but the inside of the building was redesigned, gutted and rebuilt. The new building opened in February 1971. The Central Bank of Malta website has a history of the building.
The Barrakka Lift is an interesting structure. It was built in 1905. The original lift closed in 1973 and was dismantled in 1983. In 2009 plans were drawn up for a new lift and building started in 2010 and it was opened in 2012.